Campaign of the Month: October 2017
Blood and Bourbon
The Presbytère, originally called the Casa Curial (Ecclesiastical House), derives its name from the fact that it was built on the former site of the residence, or presbytére, of the Capuchin monks. While intended to house clergy, it was never used as a religious residence. It was designed in 1791 to match the the Cabildo, or Town Hall, on the other side of St. Louis Cathedral. The second floor, however, was not completed until 1813.
The building initially was used for commercial purposes until 1834, when it was used by the Louisiana Supreme Court. In 1853, cathedral officials sold the Presbytère to the city, and in 1908 the city sold it to the state. In 1911 it became part of the Louisiana State Museum. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1970. Vidal, to the surprise of many, never declared it Elysium. The Prince has claimed to be disappointed the building was never used for its intended purpose as a house of God.
In 2005, the cupola was replaced atop the Presbytère. The cupola had been missing since the New Orleans Hurricane of 1915. Antoine Savoy has promised a boon to any Kindred (and a draught of his own vitae to any ghoul) who can return the historic piece of architecture, which has now been missing for exactly 100 years.